We are pursuing Christian unity in essential beliefs . . .
– There are some absolute truths. The Bible is God’s Word. Jesus really did come to earth, die, and rise again.
We are learning His way of liberty in non-essential beliefs . . .
– The Bible doesn’t dictate every aspect of life, so we won’t tell you what to eat or what political party to join. Being in God’s family gives us this liberty.
We are offering His hope and love when we disagree . . .
– Whether you agree or not, our goal is to show you the love and hope God offers. His way is the best way!
– There is only one God. He has eternally existed in three persons — the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. These three are equal and one.
– The Son of God took on human nature in the man Jesus Christ when He was conceived by the Holy Spirit, and born of the virgin Mary. Jesus lived a sinless human life and offered Himself as the perfect sacrifice for the sins of all people by dying on the cross. He rose from the dead after three days, demonstrating His power over sin and death. He returned to Heaven to sit at the right hand of God the Father, praying always for those who follow Him. He will return again someday to earth to reign as King of kings, and Lord of lords.
– The only way for a human being – originally created in perfection to be the spiritual image of God on earth – who has fallen into sin to return to a right relationship with God is for that person to repent and accept the sacrifice Jesus Christ made (we call this “salvation”) and live in faithful obedience to God
About the Holy Spirit
– The Holy Spirit is equal with the Father and the Son of God. He is present in the world to make men aware of their need for Jesus Christ. He also lives in every Christian from the moment of salvation. He provides the Christian with power for living, understanding spiritual truth, and guidance in doing what is right. He gives every believer a spiritual gift when they are saved.
As Christians, we seek to live under the Holy Spirit’s control daily. When we completely surrender to His guidance and ask Him to remove the natural attitude of disobedience toward God with which we were all born, the Holy Spirit fills us with His power (we call this “entire sanctification”). This power enables us to live in victory over sin, effective service to God, and love for God and humanity.
About the Bible
– The Bible is God’s Word to us. It was written by human authors, under the supernatural guidance of the Holy Spirit. It is the supreme source of truth and final authority for Christian beliefs and living. Because it is inspired by God, it is the truth without any mixture of error.
– People were created to exist forever. We will either exist eternally separated from God by sin or eternally with God through forgiveness and salvation. Those who are unrighteous will be raised again to judgment and separated from God eternally in Hell. Those who are righteous through faith in Jesus will rule with Him eternally in Heaven.
This summary of what we believe is not designed to be comprehensive, but to give an overview of the generally held beliefs of the Overland Park Church.